Image Map






Wednesday, September 30, 2015

EDU638 Guest Blogger: Latrina Walker

"Leadership has less to do with position than it does disposition." John C. Maxwell

The definition of disposition speaks directly to a person’s inherent qualities of mind and character.  A leader must exhibit the characteristic disposition enabling them to be a fair person and not let others get the best of them.  Dispositions are driven by attitudes and beliefs, which goes along with values.  Good attributes for a leader includes being caring, fair, honest, and responsible.
Leadership is the action of leading a group of people or an organization.  Leadership is an action, not a position.  What you do and believe provide others a window of who you are as a leader.  A leader must always remember the image or idea of being a role model.
Dr. Myles Munroe stated in his book instead of seeking an elevated position in life, we should develop a strong disposition.  We can begin by asking ourselves questions such as these:
  •      Have I placed more value on my status or title than on my character?
  •      What perceptions do I have about myself, other people, and the world?  Are they aligned with my purpose? Do they reflect the values I claim to have?
  •      What is my true nature, apart from my reputation?
  •      What values will I refuse to deny because, to do so, I would violate my ideals and ethics?
“Leadership is a state of mind; it is a disposition, not a position.”  Leadership is a thought choice, not a title.  Leadership is a mind mindset and the belief that you have adopted or learned through your own life experiences.
References:
44 Inspiring John C. Maxwell Quotes for Leadership Success http://petereconomy.com/44-inspiring-john-c-maxwell-quotes-for-leadership-success/


Munroe, M. (2014). 6. In The Power of Character in Leadership (Vol. 1, pp. 19-21). Whitaker House Publishing.

1 comment:

  1. Latrina, I really enjoyed your blog. It was full of leadership inspiration/wisdom. Thanks for reminding us that leadership is not about the title, its about the disposition of a leader's character.

    ReplyDelete