Image Map






Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Keep Sharing: Reflections from Student-Led Conferences

Our 3rd grade team just participated in our first ever Student Led Conferences.  WOW!  What a blessing that there are incredible teachers like Melissa at Inspire Me, ASAP who have gone before us and forged a path by which we could build student-led conferences upon.

Data Binders have been used in my classroom for the last 2 years - as long as I have taught 3rd grade.  The binders included pre and post test data, data from our school testing, and goals set for each standard.  The students recorded the data and set their own goals.  The binders were of great use and truly helped the students understand their growth.

BUT this year, I added the Leadership Section necessary in order to have successful Student-Led Conferences to those binders.  The binders became Leadership Notebooks and the students use them daily in the classroom to clock-in, record AR word counts, record homework, record Lollipop Moments... THEN they got to share their Leadership Notebooks with their families at Student-Led Conferences.

The conferences were wonderful.  I was completely amazed and proud of the 3rd graders in my classroom.  16 out of 17 families showed up for the conferences.  The conferences lasted at the least 45 minutes.  It felt like time passed quickly.  The students were quite proud of themselves.  They shared the Conference Packets that they had prepared with their families.  When I say families, I mean parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters - they all came to hear what the 3rd graders had to say about their growth, their learning and their goals.

Most importantly, here are the things that the students said about the conferences...












We have been on fall break since Student-Led Conferences.  I look forward to seeing my students on Tuesday.  I look forward to talking with them about the goal that they set with their families for the 2nd 9 weeks of school.  I look forward to the next set of Student-Led Conferences.  What a blessing to be a teacher who can grow and learn just like the students.  See you at the edge.

1 comment:

  1. I seen the videos on here & they were perfect well I thought it was perfect. The videos were about us third graders & all of us had our own balloons. The first graders did a good job with there drug free sighns we bless to be free with drugs. By: Ashlyn Trice Nov.4

    ReplyDelete