Image Map






Monday, August 31, 2015

Guest Blogger from EDU638: Colette Carrabba



“The bottom line in leadership isn’t how far we advance ourselves, but how far we advance others.” John C. Maxwell.

“Some people who hold leadership positions believe leadership is just that-a position or title. Others believe leadership is all about the leader’s accomplishments. What few leaders truly understand is that real, authentic leadership is not about you, but the people you are responsible for leading.  So then, leadership is not really about your success at all, but the success of those under your supervision.  If we want to work toward excellence, we have to provide others with excellent leadership” (Buyer, 2012).            

Paul Buyer (2012) used John Maxwell’s quote as a starting point for chapter 6 in his book and he explained this quote very succinctly.  I chose this Maxwell quote because I agree that an effective leader shows his/her leadership qualities through the successes of the individuals he/she works with.

An effective leader is not simply born, nor is he/she simply made.  I believe that leadership is a combination of innate characteristics as well as learning.  As a school leader, it is important to continually strive for improvement.  As teachers, we do not just present the same lessons every year without change.  In order to achieve student success, we need to know the students’ individual abilities and learning styles and apply that knowledge to lessons taught.  This is learning.  The more we as leaders and teachers learn, the more knowledge we will pass onto those with whom we work.

The principal, as the instructional leader of a school, must work with his/her team to improve school performance.  The teams within a school must work collaboratively on all issues for there to be improvements on all levels, not just the student performance, but also the teacher performance.  There needs to be a high degree of trust among administrators and teachers.  A school should have a curriculum and assessments coordinated across grades and subjects.  There should be an acknowledged method of improving teacher learning.  There needs to be strong connections and shared responsibility among administration and teachers.  Perhaps most importantly, the climate in the school should be centered on student learning (Anrig, 2015). The concept of collaboration is not new, but there are still teachers who will not share their knowledge, resources, or ideas with others.  There is still some underlying competition, but for what, I do not know.  Some teachers fail to see that all of us should work together to achieve the common goal of improved student learning.  How can we expect our students to grow and improve if teachers do not grow and improve?  Teacher learning is an on-going process; a process that should occur daily.  

As I participate in the courses required for my EdS, I am continually sharing what I learn with my colleagues.  Some may tire of hearing me talk, or tire of seeing emails from me, but my hope is that I will make an impact on my colleagues.  I can go to school for my entire life, but there is no success in just obtaining a degree.  I must actively share what I learn with my colleagues and my students.

 John Maxwell explains his Law of Addition in this video.  The quote that I chose is part of this law in his book The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVaZ6rwVM8This video shows a visual representation of all 21 laws.  I love these types of videos so I thought I would include it for your enjoyment as well.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyW6neGd1NwAs John C. Maxwell stated:  “The bottom line in leadership isn’t how far we advance ourselves, but how far we advance others.”  

References:  Buyer, P. (2012). Leadership. In Working toward excellence: 8 values for achieving uncommon success in work and life.  (p. 60). New York: Morgan James Publishing.  http://tinyurl.com/pvuqoqf

Anrig, G. (2015) How we know collaboration works. Educational Leadership 72(5), 31-35.

9 comments:

  1. In my previous life as Director of Admissions, one of my sayings was 'Always hire people better than you, they make you look good'. Good leaders are always looking for people who better the organization. Often we are afraid of those who outshine us as leaders when in reality we should be supporting and encouraging those who are shining in our organization. In advancing others, we are naturally learning and growing beside the our faculty and staff. Great thoughts on leadership Colette. Thank you for sharing them with the class and the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mrs. Colette! I know you hold being a leader as a very serious role just because of what I see in you as a teacher with my son, Carter. Thank you for being a great leader and encouraging your students to be leaders as well.

    Blessings,
    Becky Welch
    CookingUpSuccess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your blog. I truly liker that you share information with your colleagues. I like your statement always hire people better than you, because they make you look good. Never though about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mrs. Colette! You create such a wonderful blog for the class. I really like the quote which you chose for this assignment "The bottom line in leadership isn’t how far we advance ourselves, but how far we advance others.” John C. Maxwell. This quote sheds light on my journey as I pursue to lead and help others in my path. Thank you for such a unique and informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for Sharing Ms. Colette! I agree with your comment "In order to achieve student success, we need to know the students’ individual abilities and learning styles and apply that knowledge to lessons taught. This is learning. The more we as leaders and teachers learn, the more knowledge we will pass onto those with whom we work." As lifelong learners, Administrators should incorporate the same strategies when teaching adults. We need to know our teachers and incorporate based on learning styles and individual abilities.

    ReplyDelete